Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sweetie valentine cookie tutorial


Goodness it seems Christmas is just over and now after a little break I have realised that Valentines Day is right around the corner.

and that makes me feel happy, not necessarily because I am holding out hope for many boxes of chocolates and candy (forget stuffed animals or jewels the way to my heart is with sugar).

It's purely because Valentine's is so darn cute.


♥   True love..........it was love at first sight for me and the sugar cookie

To start off the cuteness I made some lolly - candy - sweet shaped sugar cookies and decorated them in pink, white and red fondant.


I think you'll be seeing a lot of this theme here at Bubble and Sweet in the next couple of weeks....

and just to show how much I lurve y'all I'm giving you a quick tutorial on how I made them.



Oh and the super cute mini pom poms in the pictures are from Ah Tissue

Sweetie Valentine cookies

Equipment and Ingredients


Sugar cookie dough (click here for recipe)
Ready Roll Fondant or Marshmallow fondant
Red and Pink food colour (I used Wilton gel colours)
Sweet Shaped Cookie Cutter (I got mine from Details Details here)
Heart shaped cookie cutter (mine from the Ikea Cutter set - you can see a picture in my previous post)
Red edible pen
Pink Heart sprinkles (mine from Woolworths, also available from Little Betsy Baker)
Small rolling pin
Small Sharp knife 
Water and small clean brush (kept for food purposes only)
Optional stamp


Roll out cookie dough and cut out into sweet/ candy shapes. Chill until firm and bake as per directions until golden. Allow to cool on wire rack.

For white with red heart.

Roll out white fondant and cut using sweet/ candy shaped cookie cutter. Brush a small amount of water onto cookie and using rolling pin carefully adhere fondant to cookie, ensuring edges are even.

Roll out a small amount of red fondant and cut a small heart shape out, adhere to white fondant covered cookie with a little water. Pop a small pink heart into the corner of the heart as per picture with a little royal icing.

If you would like to add red patchwork 'stitches' around the edge of the cookie allow the fondant to dry/set and then using an edible red pen draw the stitches on by hand.


For pink and white with red heart

Cut out both a white and a pink sweet/candy shape from the fondant and then using a sharp knife carefully cut where the sides of the candy wrapper fan out. Then place a middle pink section and the 2 white end sections onto the cookie and adhere using a little water, carefully join the sections using the small rolling pin.




Roll out a small amount of red fondant and cut a small heart shape out, adhere to pink fondant covered cookie with a little water. Pop a small pink heart into the corner of the heart as per picture with a little royal icing.

For True Love cookies

Cut out both a white and a pink sweet/candy shape from the fondant and then using a sharp knife carefully cut where the sides of the candy wrapper fan out. Place all 3 sections onto the cookie and adhere using a little water, carefully join the sections using the small rolling pin.

Using a food safe stamp, dab on a little red food colour and then carefully press the stamp into the center of the cookie.

If you would like to add red patchwork 'stitches' around the edge of the cookie allow the fondant to dry/set and then using an edible red pen draw the stitches on by hand.



18 comments:

  1. so sweet! I'll "love-struck" to receive this lovely cookies :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably wouldn't want to eat them. They're too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww they're so cute and I like how made them a bit thicker so they've got lolly proportions! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have a very creative mind and a passion to make such delicate and delicious goodies. Love the pictures, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these, Linda! They are so adorable! Can't wait to see ALL of your V-day goodies:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum Yum Yum they look so cute and so sweet you are a true baking artist.. Oh and loving the poms heheh xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe. They are too sweet for words ;0)
    Great job, they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow they are the prettiest cookies ever! I love pink and red togther. I'm looking forward to seeing more cute valentines treats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous cookies! The photography is brilliant! I'm just drooling over them! Lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my. These are adorable, Linda!

    After seeing easter eggs in the supermarket yesterday, thanks for reminding me there's still another occasion to get excited about between now and then. Valentines baking is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such adorable Valentine's cookies. I love the candy shape.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are seriously so precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so cute, I am now freaking out because you have just alerted me to the impending Valentines Day, I didn't realise it was so close, but it is! I'm going to have to get into the spirit and start thinking all things love in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look amazing and very easy- perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww these are gorgeous!!!! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How on earth do you get your cookies so thick? Just rolling them fatter? I've always been afraid to do that, for fear they would spread too much while baking. I've also never done fondant topped cookies versus royal icing. For a while there, it seemed like cookies were all I was doing - I burnedmyself out on royal icing! But I LOVE how cute these look with fondant. They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I just roll the dough quite thick and then chill them until quite firm before baking.

    I do not have a problem with the recipe I use spreading too much, although once I did use a different recipe from quite a popular US cookie site and found that they did spread. You can find the recipe I use in this post http://bubbleandsweet.blogspot.com/2010/12/white-christmas-snowflake-decorated.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. okay I'm in love with the sweet shaped cookie cutter! Got to get me one of those :)beautiful cookies.

    ReplyDelete